Life without Windows or OS X

GNU/Linux is quite possibly the most important free software achievement since the original Space War, or, more recently, Emacs. It has developed into an operating system for business, education, and personal productivity. GNU/Linux is no longer only for UNIX wizards who sit for hours in front of a glowing console. Are you thinking about switching to Linux and want to learn how to use it? Have you been using GNU/Linux for some time and want to learn even more? This is the place for you.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

I finely made 100 POST

On Saturday, September 10, 2005 I made my first post. It was just my little thoughts on life without MS Windows or Mac OS X.
Its kind of like “Life with Linux”. Linux, of course, is the alternative to Windows that comes from the world of open-source software,meaning no company owns it.
Many mainstream journalists, write their own weblogs, well over 300, according to CyberJournalist.net's J-Blog list, so why not me too? Google gave me and so many others a forum to talk about nothing. I'm not sure if anyone outside of close friends even read this weblog, but I am happy if anyone found my thoughts to be helpful. I am ecstatic to be on my 100th post. My goal was to have 100 post by September 10, 2006. I Did it.
After a few years of looking at Linux. I find that its easier than ever. Most people think that Linux desktops are the for hobbyists and geeks, but improvements in Linux releases like Linspire, Xandros, and SLED (Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop) will likely broaden the appeal and make Linux a viable choice for a whole lot of home desktops. Linux looks so much like Windows today, so no, there is no steep learning curve . You fire up most Linux releases and you'll be faced with a Windows-like desktop, complete with OpenOffice.org – a program very much like Microsoft Office with word processing, spreadsheet, slide show, database, and drawing software. For the most part you don't have to worry about a big-Dog upgrade to a radically new version because Linux gets updated routinely, at little or no cost.
I see these days the most pressing obstruction to the growth of desktop Linux is the need for more hardware support. Now Linux drivers are increasingly being developed in a timely manner, many drivers need to be installed separately from the main installation.
However things are getting better. K-mart.com, Sears.com and Walmart.com (as of February 1, 2006) sell Linspire (Linux) base PCs. I even heard that, Hewlett-Packard plan to certify SLED 10 for select notebooks: including the nx6310, nx6320, nc6320, nc2400, nx6315 and nx6325 models. Linux desktops can't yet run applications like Adobe® Photoshop® CS2 or support a many-other consumer add-ons, but if you only need basic productivity tools,a browser to be productive, and you love the notion of less expensive software that leaves you free of Microsoft's strategies and whims. Linux is a perfect fit for you currently.

The HP Compaq Business Notebook nx6310

Intel® Core™ Solo processor T1300 (1.66-GHz, 667-MHz FSB, 2-MB L2 cache)
  • Mobile Intel® 945GM or 940GML Express Chipset
  • 6 cell lithium ion battery
  • 65 watt power adapter
  • Touchpad with scroll zone
  • as thin as 1.2-inches and as light as 6.06 lbs
  • 15.0-inch display
  • Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with up to 128MB shared system memory
  • Interfaces: One type I/II/III PC card slot, two USB 2.0, VGA, RJ-45/RJ-11, audio in/out
I hope to post another 100 “speeches” by September 10, 2006 -- very unlikely. I do look forward to writing about the new features in Opera 9, Linspire 6.0 Skipjack, and the dangers of Trusted Computing. I would also like to give a plug to another saint louis bloger: stlouisfreespire. They seem to have my same focus over there; helping the working poor to have an OS. I'm told he blogs with the Performance Koobox and Firefox 1.5.
I wish every one luck in their writing. “The PC has caused humankind to have critical reflections of ideas.” Share your thoughts and ideals with the world.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home